Thursday, August 30, 2012

Do you see what I see?

1
The mind is often disordered.

c0 the mind tries to make sense of everything it sees. What do you see here: A beautiful young woman turning away, or an old hag?Those who are deeply mistaken are often incapable of examining themselves sufficiently to know they are deeply mistaken.

(This occurred to me after a Facebook debate on gun control.)

[2012-08-20]

2
The mind struggles to discern order.

Religion is a good substance out of which to fashion rules. If we didn't have religion, we would have to invent it, or something very much like it.

Indeed, any skeptic or agnostic or atheist who rejects God and still says there is a place for rules, has done just that.

You might as well curse your hunger for making you fat. You can do it, and get a lot of folks to do it with you, but you're still hungry, and you're still fat.

[2012-08-10]

3
Garage sale acquisition.

Porcelain statuette of Michelangelo's Pieta, about 7", copyright "Holland Mold." $1. Some Holland Mold Pietas are going for $15-$20, but I bought this because I liked it, not to resell.

The Grundig 960 behind it is a reproduction. Not a good performer, but very attractive. I got it "free" many years ago when I redeemed my Discover Card points.

c0 Michelangelo's Pieta; I think it's porcelain; approximately 7".

[2012-08-26]
_tmp_amn_pic_57_48_0

No comments:

Post a Comment