Thursday, August 16, 2012

The kids are all right.

1
The kids are all right.

2nd Floor Vanderwerp, Calvin College, 1982

c0 2nd Floor Vanderwerp Calvin College 1982
I remember arguing at length with Mark Jorritsma and Craig Dykstra regarding gun control. (They were fer it, I was agin' it, at the time. I've done a 180 on maturity, maybe a 90 on politics. All right all right, make it a 90 on maturity. Okay okay okay, would you believe 45?)

The argument eventually came down to an analogy: If you are the only manufacturer of matches, and arson is committed only with matches, do you bear any responsibility for acts of arson?

 

2
Dee Dee sleeping in the back seat while Mom is at a garage sale...

_tmp_amn_pic_53_22_0
[2012-08-05]

 

3
That we may be one.

Closing words of the introduction to the St Ignatius Study Bible (1966 edition, Revised Standard Version):

"May this edition of the New Testament contribute both to the increase in knowledge of God's Word and to better understanding between Christians according to the mind of our Savior, who prayed 'that they may be one, even as we are one' (Jn 17:11)." Source >

This is a bold statement. I grew up an evangelical Baptist and am ashamed that I never heard or saw this expressed. There are many evangelical Baptists who, should they read this, would see it as a trap, not as a plea for restored communion.

[2012-08-06]

 

4
Ooh! Ooh ooh!

Good bye, Ron.

c0 Ron Palillo, R.I.P.
Ron Palillo, R.I.P. >

I am almost daily now seeing prominent names from my childhood pass.
If you don't know Ron Palillo, don't worry. There is/was/will be a Ron Palillo in your life, and he will leave the world a little better place than he found it, and you will be reminded of your own mortality when he does.

_tmp_amn_pic_50_57_0
Started: 1982

2 comments:

  1. Check this article. Right at the end you'll find a closing prayer in italics which echoes that very prayer of Christ. Especially interesting to me is the fact that our unity was prayed for not expressly for our sake, but so that our supernatural unity would attest to Christ's divinity. This prayer, the only prayer we've got of Christ praying for us, was a major factor in my reconsideration of the ecclesiology I happened to inherit from my parents.

    http://www.calledtocommunion.com/2012/07/st-irenaeus-on-justification/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Herb, that is a beautiful prayer. I have a couple laminated for reference when I have my devotions, I am adding that one.

    --c0

    ReplyDelete