Thursday, September 12, 2013

Amusing Google Ad…

c0 This Google Ad for a Lutheran coffee mug showed up on my blog on Sept 4, 2013
Click to enlarge: This Google Ad for a Lutheran coffee mug showed up on my blog on Sept 4, 2013

The Google Ad at right for a Lutheran coffee mug showed up on my blog recently.

Why is that odd? I was browsing the web for pictures to accompany a post, not really shopping for a coffee mug, and I have no online coffee-related shopping history.

I let Google place those ads on this blog to get insights just like this. I work with SEO and targeted advertising and this was an experiment. But I don’t like the way they look and they don’t make any money for me, so I may turn them off. They’re kind of annoying, especially the political ones.

(It’s a good idea to use different browsers for different tasks. In my case, IE is for work, Chrome is for work and writing and online shopping, and Firefox is for news and entertainment. Opera is for “I need to see what this looks like in a browser that can’t possibly have any history with this site.”  Chrome lets you set up identities, but I’m guessing Google sees them as views of the same user.)

[2013-09-04]

c0


c0 This is me. No SEO juice here. Move along...I write for human beings, not for search engines, because as long as you write for real people, you will get real readers, and Google will do the backstroke in your SEO juice.

You can fool some of the algorithms some of the time… Just ask JCPenney…. >


--csc


[2013-08-23]



c0

No comments:

Post a Comment