Wednesday, September 11, 2013

This blog is like a bag of potato chips.


c0 Minerva eating potato chips
Click to enlarge: Minerva as a symbol of enlightened wisdom protects the believers of all religions (Daniel Chodowiecki, 1791); she reportedly was fond of potato chips.

There are enough people out there telling us what to think and what not to think - and how not to be tricked one way or another - I can’t possibly hope this small space will cut through the clutter and connect with more than a handful of readers.

I can, however, relate what I think and hope that handful finds the time they spend with me helpful, even as a counterexample, for I’ve changed my mind many times on many things when confronted with contrary evidence. We all do, if we’re honest with ourselves.

This blog has two goals (for the time being):

1. It’s an autobiography of my reluctant journey into tolerance (reluctant because I don't like changing my mind, which is sometimes realized as latent frustration).

2. It hopes for peace and love and anything otherwise benign that makes the human condition a little more pleasant.

Much of what you’ll find here isn’t meant to be agreed with, just enjoyed, like a bag of potato chips.

But some few things I hope you do agree with, will agree with, will think about, or simply tolerate. They are important to me and I would like them to be important to others.

[2013-09-04]

c0



c0 Albert Einstein pointing to his head
Click to enlarge: Albert Einstein pointing to his head.

The only greater loss than not getting what you want in life is then not securing it in your head, for that is where it resides all along.

This goes along with “be yourself” and “be happy with who you are,” because that is all you’ll take with you one day, if indeed we take anything.

We do leave a lot of who we are behind, however, and that should occasionally frighten us.

[2013-09-07]


 

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment