Sunday, September 8, 2013

Clarence talks to csc about atheism (and giants hulking into immortality)

c0 A little boy asks a woman, 'Aren't you too old to have an imaginary friend'
Click to enlarge: A little boy asks a woman, 'Aren't you too old to have an imaginary friend?’ The woman is wearing a T-shirt with an arrow pointing to a cross on a necklace.

csc: I don't believe in what I can't see.

Clarence: I can see it. Why can't you?

 

c: It's all in your head.

C: Feels real enough to me.

 

c: You can't trust what you feel. Only what you can observe with your senses and what you can deduce from sufficiently sensitive equipment.

C: But there are things we couldn't observe or predict even a few years ago, but we now know they exist.

 

c: Correct, now we do.

C: But that's my point. Since we know there are things we can't observe or predict, there will always be such things, and I believe I see such things because I have sufficiently sensitive equipment that is tuned to detect them.

 

c: You've just tuned your imagination.

C: But it's such a nice tune. Won't you sing along with me?

 

c: A song sung by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

C: Unless you become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

 

 

c0


c0 Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators - The Secret of Terror Castlec0 The Three Investigators - Jupe, Bob, and Pete
c0 The familiar endpaper inside the front and back of the first hardcover Three Investigators books.
c0 Alfred Hitchcock standing in front of his signature 9-stroke caricature
Click to enlarge: (Top L) Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators - The Secret of Terror Castle. (Top R) The Three Investigators - Jupe, Bob, and Pete. I identified with Jupe’s rotund intellect, but probably would have preferred to spend time with Bob in the library. (Middle)The familiar endpaper inside the front and back of the first hardcover Three Investigators books. (Bottom) Alfred Hitchcock standing in front of his signature 9-stroke caricature.

I’m now reading as time permits a few installments from the tween mystery series Alfred Hitchcock and the Three investigators, during which I’m 12 years old again solving mysteries with Jupe and Bob and Pete, and talking to Hitch himself, a figure of mythic proportions during my boyhood. (These books were Christmas gifts when I was young.)

I watched Hitchcock struggle against his weight to simply stand and receive an Academy Lifetime Achievement Award, his wife covering a quivering mouth, perhaps the result of a stroke. I saw that on live TV with Mom and Dad. Mom sincerely said at the time, “Oh, that poor man.” We all liked his movies very much.

I was so young, oblivious to the incredible talent still with us. We sometimes watch others cross in and out of public view unaware that we are seeing giants hulk away slowly and into immortality.

 

[2013-09-03]

 

 

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment