Thursday, March 13, 2014

Did you know Jesus quoted from the Septuagint?

c0 Psalm 1 in the Septuagint
Psalm 1 in the Septuagint
What’s the Septuagint? It’s a Greek translation of the Old Testament in use in Jesus’ day.

For example:

"Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’"

That’s Jesus in Mark 7:6-7 quoting the Septuagint translation of Isaiah 29:13. See a bunch more here >

Why is that interesting?

The Septuagint also contains the Apocrypha.

[2014-03-06]

c0

A totally unrelated aside: I don’t know what to say to someone who was physically or emotionally abused in a religious context, and I wonder almost daily how my life would be different had I been.

[2014-03-05]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment