Sunday, March 9, 2014

There is a small crucifix...

c0 Altar at St Matthew Lutheran Church, Ada, MI, LCMS
This is the altar at the front of St. Matthew Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Ada, MI.
There is a small crucifix at the font of St Matthew’s Lutheran Church where I worship.

That crucifix has become a peaceful and palliative focus for me during communion. (At St Matthew, that’s every service.)

The feeling defies words, but you’ll know it if I explain it to you: Nearly everyone has had a moment or two in which they felt, “I am so content right now, I could die happy.”

I’m not sure where that sentiment originated, but I've heard it from quite a few people.

It’s a fleeting sliver in which a euphoric wellness seems to outweigh anything life could throw at you, even death.

While I stare at that crucifix, instead of watching what others are doing, I contemplate a tradition, activity, grace, that’s been unfolding every day like this for nearly 2,000 years.

c0

My emotional response to an activity and image isn't meant to convince you, but it’s a part of me I find interesting enough to share, and of course, I wish everyone reading this could encounter it the same way I do.

There is something fundamentally human about sharing. If you've had children, you’ll remember how quickly children imitate this behavior.

[2014-02-23]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment