Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Fundamental rewards of a bible-based childhood.

c0 Woodcut by Hans Brosamer, Christ teaching the disciples the Lord’s Prayer, in the 1550 edition of Luther's Small Catechism
Woodcut by Hans Brosamer, Christ teaching the disciples the Lord’s Prayer, in the 1550 edition of Luther's Small Catechism
I recently heard a former Lutheran and Presbyterian remark how much Luther's Little Catechism stayed with a person into adulthood. (It’s written for families and children.)

I am now happily LCMS Lutheran, formerly Baptist, but I must say that my Baptist upbringing, for which I am grateful, instilled only one formal Christian voice - the King James Bible.

I had no childhood experience with a catechism of any sort, good or bad, not even the Apostle’s Creed or the Lord’s Prayer. (I knew what they were, but we didn't memorize them or “pray” them.)

Those are new sounds to me now, and I’ve grown fond of them and recite them daily, but the strongest echoes are those of my bible.

There is something fundamentally rewarding in that.

[2013-03-02]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment