Wednesday, March 19, 2014

You couldn't have made this TV ad when I was a kid.

As perplexing as this ad is to me, it’s anthropologically fascinating. I suspect someday, thousands of years from now, archaeologists will be information scientists who specialize in retrieving digital information from unearthed electronics.

Among them may be the words you are reading now, and this ad.


This is my pool and these are my pecs.
This is my newspaper tossed on my steps.
This is my daughter who's texting her peeps.
This is my car I get to keep / 'Cuz my pre-nup was drafted by Leevum & Weep.



Cadillac ELR Coupe 2014 Commercial






You couldn't have made this ad when I was a kid. My parents’ generation was still smarting from WWII frugality, and their parents lived through the Great Depression.

But nothing I write here or there or you read anywhere will change how we subjugate and manipulate each other.

When we see an ad like this, we should also see images like this:


c0 An Alabama family during the Great Depression, 1935
An Alabama family during the Great Depression, 1935.
And this:

c0 Homeless families in Washington, DC, Winter 2014
Homeless families in Washington, DC, Winter 2014.



[2014-03-03]


c0


No comments:

Post a Comment