Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Nuclear dreams

I wrote recently about a dream I had of my Grandma Grandy being taken up into heaven with Jesus. This was many years ago. It was so vivid, I had to call home and ask if Grandma was okay.

c0 A Soul Brought to Heaven, 1878, by William-Adolphe Bouguereau
A Soul Brought to Heaven, by William-Adolphe Bouguereau
It occurred to me that others hearing that story might regard it as naive, and perhaps indicative of a childish hue that colors my insight and memories.

Perhaps.

That perspective is partly the result of 20th century pop psychology that filters much of what we see and hear (and so believe), and it is also rather shallow, if not self-satisfying.

Nearly everyone I know had nuclear dreams during the Reagan era. The Day After (1983) >, starring Jason Robards, was a major television event, back when television dominated entertainment and information.

Our shared nuclear paranoia was certainly due in part to the shared images we consumed, and probably not a reaction to real people halfway around the world who were just as uninformed about us as we were about them.

[2014-02-23]

Which is why I wonder that 30 years later Obama can say 'There Will Be Costs' for Ukraine Intervention > . If Canada was descending into civil war, does anyone think we’d stand by and let them settle the matter themselves?

Can you say Iraq? Sure, I knew you could.



[2014-02-23]


c0

No comments:

Post a Comment