Friday, June 20, 2014

Let your light shine.

c0 A glowing cigaretteI listen to pastor Dave Miles's Sunday sermons every week. He's an extraordinarily caring man and I look forward to the day I can hear him preach in person. Dave is pastor at Bethel Baptist Church in Erie, PA, where I grew up and attended until I left town for college. You can hear his sermons here >

Dave made a comment recently in a sermon that we should "let our light shine" and I was reminded of a story told by my Grandma Cairns (Geneva Cairns, née Bauer):
It seems grandma's father was in church one Sunday and the pastor was preaching on letting your light shine. After the service, my pipe-smoking German immigrant great-grandpa Bauer shook the pastor's hand and said, "Fine message, Reverend. I'm going outside and let my light shine."
True story. I think my Grandma Cairns must have been little when she heard him say that. It really tickled her and she retold it many times.

[2014-06-09]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment