Friday, June 27, 2014

Success with a WinTV tuner on Linux

After wrestling unsuccessfully with MythTV, I found to my delight that after just installing and crossing my fingers, I was able to watch digital over-the-air broadcasts with Me TV and my WinTV-HVR-950Q USB tuner.



Setting up Me TV on Lubuntu
c0 Setting up Me TV on Lubuntu

Me TV after setup and receiving over-the-air digital broadcasts from my downstairs cave (aka office)
c0 Me TV after setup; over-the-air digital from my downstairs cave (aka office)

Very very cool channel program guide and interface for Me TV
c0 Very very cool channel program guide and interface for Me TV



c0

More good news: The previous owner of my home ran coax up the outside of the house to an upstairs bedroom and right under a window. I'll be running that line to my Linux box and putting my HD fractal antenna in that window.

If that works as I hope, I might split it to our two main TVs and cut Xfinity cable completely. I'll still need Internet, but I actually have more interest in watching free over-the-air TV than what I pay for.

[2014-06-13]



c0

Update:

Fifteen over-the-air channels from a second-floor window fractal antenna.

c0 Now getting 15 channels, including Gilligan loud and clear over 64-2 WLLA-D2
Now getting 15 channels, including Gilligan loud and clear over 64-2 WLLA-D2

Very bad weather today too, so hoping for even better eventually.

c0 Weather in my area Wed night 6-18-2014
Weather in my area Wed night 6-18-2014


[2014-06-18]


c0

No comments:

Post a Comment