Thursday, November 20, 2014

Of wedgies and old high school Phys Ed teachers.

c0 Former Rutgers basketball coach Mike Rice who was known for his abusive rants and fired after ESPN aired a few of them. (AP Photo/Mel Evan)
Former Rutgers basketball coach Mike Rice who was known for his abusive rants and was fired after ESPN aired a few of them. (AP Photo/Mel Evan)
A few days ago I mentioned a wedgie at the close of post. That reminded me of a tragic locker room drama at McDowell High School in Erie (Millcreek), PA. A couple jocks gave a poor kid a wedgie so bad they pulled his underwear up over his head.

You know the rest: the coach yells at the brutes, who saunter away laughing, helps the unlucky kid get his head out of his underwear, asks him if he's okay, and pats him on the back like he's sending him back into the game.

I'll bet that happens in every boys' locker room in every school every year.


c0

I had a very good Phys Ed teacher at McDowell, who was also very kind. He had small children and I think understood the long-term harm that cruelty inflicts on children.

He was a large man, energetic, the type that carries his weight like a man half his size.

I remember seeing him at McDonalds with his children. I was with Mom and my brother and sister. (That's one of the few times I remember Mom taking us to McDonalds, it was usually Dad.)

He was one of three Phys Ed teachers as I recall. I always secretly hoped I would wind up with him on gym days and not one of the other two.

[2014-11-08]


c0

No comments:

Post a Comment