Monday, November 19, 2012

"There's only one me, and I'm stuck with him." --Kurt Vonnegut

1
Ic0 Chief Dan George in 1970. Chief Dan George (Jul 24, 1899 - Sept 23, 1981), born Geswanouth Slahoot , was a chief of the Tsleil-Waututh Nation in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. He was an author, poet, and an Academy Award-nominated actor. I have enormous respect for Native Americans and would like to learn more about the many Native American nations that were here before us.'m getting to the age...

... where I encounter many younger people that "don't respect the old ways," and I feel like an aging Native American chief watching my language and traditions slowly evaporate.

I'm not that old, and quite skilled in my profession, but the sheer numbers of younger folks that don't know what I know makes that knowledge suspect and often irrelevant.

Renewal has great value in all human activities (fresh young voices and new ideas), but something is also lost.

And there is a difference between aging into irrelevancy and aging into marginalization.

And none of this is new. It's as old as Moses' toes.

c0

This commercial was frequently parodied when I was a child:

Keep America Beautiful - Crying Indian Earth Day Commercial 1971

[2012-11-14]

 

2
c0 Kurt Vonnegut self-portraitI think some folks may regard my posts as occasionally clinical.

That's partly intentional, because...

a) This is more or less my autobiography.

b) It let's me tell some things that otherwise would be too emotional to get through.

c) It allows for quick, unexpected turns that introduce absurdity in ways that you can't show by just saying "the world is broke and I can't fix it."

[2012-11-14]

 

3
c0 Clarence talks to George after he pulls him out of the water. George is suddenly able to hear with an ear that's been deaf since a childhood accident. George says to Clarence, "Say something else in that ear." Clarence replies, "Sure. You can hear out of it."Say something else in that ear.

"I'll listen to anyone with a cogent argument about anything, but I may not change my mind."

--Clarence 0ddbody

 

[2012-11-14]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment