Sunday, November 11, 2012

You Can't Be Serious

Usability 101

c0 Heath Ledger as the Joker; "You can't be serious."I recently for the first time needed to do a "find and replace all" in Word 2010, and it took me an unconscionable 3-4 minutes to do it.[1]

Ctrl-F? Nope.

Ctrl-R? Nope.

Okay. Windows Blue Ribbon time.

Does it show up under Home, Insert, Page Layout, References, etc? Nope.

Help.c0 Microsoft Office help icon

Ah, there it is, way over there. How'd I miss that?


c0 The find / replace / selection options in MS Word

I'll tell you how I missed it. You removed my keyboard shortcut and you moved menu drop-downs to the ribbon, which changes appearance every time I change the width of my Word editor window, WHICH, I'll have you know, I do a LOT, though some folks go full screen all the time, I don't, thankyouverymuch.

c0 Word 2012 search navigation paneWord is now using palettes or floating dialogs. So Ctrl-F brings up this pretty window that let's me navigate through my search results, but it doesn't give me a replace option.

If Word weren't the corporate standard, I wouldn't use it.

However, IMHO it won't be for long. And it won't be OpenOffice, as much as I like it. It'll be Google Docs, or Son of Google Docs.

I don't want bells and whistles. I want to get work done, the same way every day, regardless of where I am or what device I'm using.

That's usability 101.

c0

[1]
I do most text manipulation with a text editor; and though I use Word daily, I just never had to do a global search/replace before.

c0

Started: 2012-11-01

No comments:

Post a Comment