Thursday, November 22, 2012

What I'm Thankful for on Thanksgiving Day

c0 the cornucopia, or "horn of plenty," a common image from Thanksgivings of my youth. You don't see this much anymore. It was once as common at Thanksgiving as Santa is at Christmas.I am thankful for...

What I have,
What I have been spared,
What I have been to others
and what they have been to me.

When you count all that up, there's not much left to be unthankful for.

c0

My little girl is so attached to me, she talks to my shoes when I'm at work. Each day when I return home, it's as if I've been gone a year. I know it won't last, but I have it today, and that is enough for today.

c0

c0 Charlie Brown with his Christmas tree. I had a Sunday school teacher in my teens, Mr Parenti (the older one that owned Parenti's restaurant on upper Peach Street, IIRC) who asked this question: Why is there an Easter Bunny and Santa Claus? Answer: Because they are Satan's counterfeits to lure people away from the real thing.

He then asked, Why is there nothing similar for Thanksgiving? Answer: Because God's not in it.

Perhaps, and it's all a matter of interpretation anyway, but I think Black Friday is a good candidate.

c0

Started: 2012-11-19

3 comments:

  1. Some people ought not to be teaching Sunday School, or anything else for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, but Mr Parenti wasn't one of them. I think he did well reaching teens like myself.

    --c0

    ReplyDelete