Friday, November 16, 2012

The Soundtrack of (some of) Our Lives

trek07I watched Spock go blind, I saw McCoy lanced by a knight, and I sat helpless while Cpt Kirk's sister-in-law died screaming in sick bay.

The music of early television was expensive and cinematic; listening to it in isolation reveals a lot of formula and repetition, but also a lot of subtlety and delicate beauty.

There is something about music absorbed at a certain age that embeds it so inextricably deep, it can not be heard again without also experiencing the images and emotions initially attached to it.

Music from Star Trek TOS (the original series) is that way for me. (And for the record, I know nothing about music except what I like and don't like, and don't expect anyone else to share my tastes.)

I've wanted the soundtracks to TOS for a long time, and am delighted to find some of them on Youtube, along with a haunting USS Enterprise gently floating through space, not like a derelict, but as though the crew is still there, carrying on as normal between missions.

The soundtracks cover a number of episodes, including the ones I referred to above. I've embedded the playlists here.

1
Star Trek TOS Soundtracks I by opus289

 

2
Star Trek TOS Soundtracks II by opus289


3
Star Trek TOS Soundtracks III by opus289

 

 c0

No comments:

Post a Comment