Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Why I’m not a teacher (at least, not in the conventional sense).

c0 Top - Charles Dickens;  Bottom - Arthur C Clarke
Top: Charles Dickens Bottom: Arthur C Clarke
When I was a student teacher covering for the main teacher, Ms N (who had taken a vacation and left me in charge for a week and a half), I reached out to a troubled student who was missing a lot of class. This was 9th grade English, and he was refusing to read the assigned book, A Tale of Two Cities.

I had previously been in a meeting with Ms N, the principal, and the boy’s parents (genuinely concerned and nice people). I learned the boy was reclusive and belligerent and often locked himself in his bedroom for days at a time.

But he was also quite bright; there was a light that flickered occasionally when he lifted heavy eyelids from his desk; he otherwise kept his head bowed and stared at nothing; he didn’t doodle or fidget or read; he did nothing at all.

On my first day teaching solo (and Ms N on vacation), I got down on my knees next to him and asked what he liked to read. He said Arthur C Clarke. I said, “If I let you read Arthur C Clarke for class credit instead of a Tale of Two Cities, will you take a test on it and agree to be graded along with the others?”

He agreed. I assigned a Clarke book he hadn’t read that was near the same length of our abridged Dickens and off we went together and a journey of discovery. He even joined other groups and talked about the book he was reading and the book they were reading.

When my supervising teacher Ms N returned and found out what I’d done, she pitched a fit, told the principal and student he could not read Arthur C Clarke for credit and if he didn’t read the assigned curriculum he would fail.

I protested, but it did no good. I watched a troubled teen just coming out of his shell crawl back in. He eventually stopped coming to class altogether. I suspect his parents had to find specialized care.

I chose then not to become a teacher, even though I loved it.

An afterthought tomorrow.

[2014-04-16]

c0

2 comments:

  1. How tragic. What a missed opportunity! And, it was life changing for the student and for you!

    For this teacher, it was about conformity and control. It’s scary to realize that this mentality holds sway in the very place that should encourage the development of the individual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I know what I think about education and conformity, but I think I'm in the minority. And at the end of the day, many teachers are just trying to get through the day. But maybe if we let up a little on one-size-fits-all, we'd find out some kids have a natural talent in areas that will take them further.

      --c0

      Delete