Friday, April 18, 2014

Check the CD tray, ya big dummy.

c0 Homer Simpson reaches for the Ubuntu logo in this Linux wallpaper 1920x1200(The context may only be funny if you’ve ever installed a gabillion Linux distros on the same box.)

I had a reliable version of Lubuntu 13.1 working for a couple weeks, but it kept dropping the USB wireless connection. Instead of reinstalling distro after distro, I put on Racy Puppy 5.5 and then added Grub4Dos (which sees all my partitions, and gives me a nice, intuitive Grub menu at boot).

Now, I’m thinking, I really want something more robust than Racy Puppy, and Lubuntu keeps dropping the wifi, so let’s try a full Ubuntu install again.

Hmmm… Let’s see what I already have in that stack of CDs. Ubuntu 9.1… nothing newer? Well, let’s start with that. If I like it, I’ll upgrade later.

(Noooooo… I hear someone screaming, don’t do it!)

Sure. I go for Ubuntu 9.1.

But installation fails and it replaces my Grub boot options with an older completely unintuitive Grub menu.

Try again.

And again.

Okay, okay, enough of this, start over, do a fresh install with oldest distro, repartition whole drive, work my way forward.

There. Should bring up a shiny new Ubuntu 9.1 login.

c0 Fred Sanford (Redd Foxx) on Sanford and Son frequently referred to his son as 'big dummy'Nope.

Reboot. Grub menu. Will not boot from CD.
Once.
Twice.
Thrice.
Okay... research.
Reboot.
ESC.
Choose CD to boot.
Grub.
Will not boot from CD.

@#$@# what in the world is wrong with that disk in the CD tray?

Nothing is wrong with the CD. There is no disk in the CD tray.

Ya big dummy.



c0



After numerous trials with many versions of Ubuntu, Mint, Kubuntu and Racy Puppy, I am back to Lubuntu, where I will stay for a while. Linus Torvill must have smiled on me, because my wifi is no longer dropping.

c0 Clarence's Lubuntu desktop today with Conky running on right
Clarence's Lubuntu desktop today with Conky running on right


[2014-04-07 & 08 & 09 & today]





c0

No comments:

Post a Comment