Monday, April 7, 2014

We seem to be wired to become small minded after a certain age.

c0 Album cover of Parliament's 'The Clones of Dr Funkenstein'
Album cover of Parliament's 'The Clones of Dr Funkenstein'
We eventually become less receptive (and even hostile) to new ideas as we age. Every generation has a disparaging version of “Kids these days.”

When I was tween-ish, I thought the cover of Parliament's 'The Clones of Dr Funkenstein’ was among the coolest anti-establishment album covers I’d ever seen, sort of a funky twist on Kiss and Alice Cooper. I stared in rapt fascination at the hair, the girls, the platform shoes - not because they were peculiar, but because they were utterly magnetic.

Now at fmphn years old, I look at new music by Lady Gaga or Ke$ha or Lil Wayne (random pop/rap names I happen to be aware of) and shake my head; I just don’t get it, don’t want to get it, don’t care who does.

The last time I was excited about new music was the days of Nirvana, Soundgarden, Faith No More.






[2014-01-31]



c0

No comments:

Post a Comment