Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Why do behavioral paradigms change when human behavior doesn't?

c0 Freud and Phil
Freud and Phil. I always get those two mixed up.
The power of a model of course lies not only in it’s ability to account for all the observable facts, but predict future facts, yet minds as diverse as Freud, Skinner, Piaget, etc, had decidedly different views as to what motivated the same behavior.

And some behavioral models are better predictors than others, even if they’re not entirely welcome. I’m not personally crazy about BF Skinner and his pecking pigeons, but when it comes time to managing my 5-year-old, I use reward and punishment as if she were a pigeon.

But the end of all this (because most of my posts bring you to some end, I hope) is that models reflect the generation that creates them as much as they account for the facts they’re modeling.

The generation that thrilled to Freudian slips would not have responded the same to Dr Phil.



c0


c0 Jing with Dr Phil in Niagara Falls
Jing with Dr Phil in Niagara Falls. He didn't talk much.
I think that’s pretty insightful. I no doubt have a repressed narcissism and needed to overtly express that.

And how does that make you feel?
You again?
I’m always here, listening.
And talking.
When it’s your turn to listen.
Shaddup already, willya? I’m writing here.

[2014-04-10]



c0

No comments:

Post a Comment