Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The wishbone from Thanksgiving 2013 (a Cairns tradition).

c0 The wishbone in our kitchen from 2013's Thanksgiving turkey
The wishbone in our kitchen from 2013's Thanksgiving turkey.
My dear cousin Carolee taught me a tradition many years ago:

I spent a number of Thanksgiving dinners with Uncle Ken, Aunt Dorothy, and my cousins Carolee, Dee Dee, and Tom Tom when they lived in Holly, MI. Carolee always cleaned the bird after Thanksgiving dinner and hung the wishbone up over the kitchen sink, where it stayed for a year, until the next Thanksgiving, when it granted a wish and a new one was hung in its place.

I’ve been doing it every year since then, and this is the first year I am doing it in my new home in Ada.

Thanksgiving is far away, but I look at that wishbone every day when I do the evening dishes, and I think of Carolee and that house in Holly and Thanksgivings that were.

[2014-04-11]


c0

No comments:

Post a Comment