Friday, September 12, 2014

China 2014: Welcome to China. Please renounce your citizenship before leaving.

c0 Dee Dee with a friendly sign in Shenyang's downtown police station (detail)I have much to report from China 2014, and will pick at it over the next few months.

I have the most adoring, generous and patient Chinese families-in-law you can imagine. I hope I can return their kindness.

The Chinese government, well, that's another matter.

We heard rumors prior to departing that the Chinese government was now selecting some visa applicants for special treatment: If they are Chinese and hold two citizenships, they are forced to go to a police station within 24 hours of arrival and renounce one of them.

If you are in this situation, you likely have made your home and career elsewhere and have no choice (even though you're asked to swear under oath that you're doing this of your own free will; nice touch, there).

c0 Dee Dee with a friendly sign in Shenyang's downtown police station
Dee Dee (and Mimi in stroller) with a friendly sign
 in Shenyang's downtown police station, travel and
transit department. I don't know what it says, but I
believe most of the police that were interested
in us (and we met a couple) were plain-clothed.
The police are only doing their job, but the policy invites indignation (from the visa holder) and a mean response from the police officer (who's probably heard it all a hundred times already).

So, be forewarned: If you're Chinese and hold dual citizenship and your visa comes back with "000" days allowed for your visit, you will probably will face the same decision.

My wife is now only (but proudly) Canadian.

c0

There's more to the story, and though I can't be certain, I suspect that my wife travelling on a Canadian passport was a factor. However, I don't know why the Chinese government is doing this or how they pick their targets, so who knows, it might just be that a computer matches up a few data points and bingo, sucks to be you.

[2014-09-07]
c0

No comments:

Post a Comment