Monday, September 22, 2014

God Bless Richard Kiel, 1939 - 2014 (Kanamit, Jaws, and Ghost-a-Go-Go)

c0 Screen capture of this blog after Richard Kiel died showing a rise in popularity of a post mentioning Richard Kiel
Screen capture of this blog after Richard Kiel died
showing a rise in popularity of a post mentioning Richard Kiel
This is a screen capture of this blog a few days after actor Richard Kiel died. Kiel was best known as the James Bond villain "Jaws," but he had a long history of bit parts, including one as a Russian spy and ghost on Gilligan's Island.

It would seem those searching for Kiel found me, and maybe that's fitting, as I liked him as an actor before the rest of the world discovered him.

It also shows (and that is why I am posting this) that our own brief popularity is often due to the popularity of others.

c0

Kiel was a born-again Christian and credited his faith with his sobriety:

"Not only did God deliver me from the bondage of alcoholism, he also blessed my family financially because of my commitment to honor what he had done for me and for not doing what I believed could possibly be destructive to others."

You may find that irrelevant, but I like learning that someone who died had hoped in the same things I do, and so it's especially relevant to me.


c0 Left: Richard Kiel as a Russian spy on Gilligan's Island. Right: Kiel as Bond villain Jaws in Moonraker and The Spy Who Loved Me.
Left: Richard Kiel as a Russian spy on Gilligan's Island.
Right: Kiel as Bond villain Jaws in 
Moonraker and The Spy Who Loved Me.


[2014-09-16]

c0


No comments:

Post a Comment