Monday, September 15, 2014

God Bless Jim Amendola, 3/3/1961-9/11/2014

c0 Jim Amendola's Facebook photo
Jim Amendola's Facebook photo
I heard sad news today. Jim Amendola passed away on September 11, 2014.

Jim was a grade ahead of me at Bethel Christian School in Erie, PA, and in the first class to graduate from Bethel. (I never did; I transferred to McDowell in 10th grade.)

He was a simple, kind soul. My most vivid memory of Jim is him leaping down the back stairwell at Bethel Christian School (when it was on the east side) and shouting "James Bond, 007!"

In high school, Jim had 3 or 4 paper routes so he could buy a VCR, which in those days cost $2-3,000.

Jim later worked for a Super Duper grocery store near the foot of Zuck Road (IIRC).  They became a major competitor of Loblaws, the grocery company my family worked for. Neither Super Duper nor Loblaws are in business in the US anymore.

I talked with Jim a couple times when I visited Erie. He always came up to me and made an effort to chat.

This is the Jim Amendola I remember, here with his family in 1982.


c0 Jim Amendola, with his family in 1982 in the Bethel Baptist Church directory
Jim Amendola, with his family in 1982 in the 
Bethel Baptist Church directory
Jim was a childhood friend that will in some ways forever remain a child, or so I shall remember him, and which more of us should want to be.



Jim's Obituary >

A Red & White / Super Duper ad from 1979



[2014-09-12]

c0



No comments:

Post a Comment