Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A purpose of human life… is to love whoever is around to be loved.

Three men that have influenced my thinking (from a little to a lot), and, I just considered, somewhat resemble each other, depending on their age and last haircut.


c0 L-R: George Noory, Michael Medved, and Kurt Vonnegut
L-R: George Noory (host of late-night radio talk show Coast to Coast), Michael Medved
(movie critic and social commentator), and Kurt Vonnegut (one of my all-time favorite writers).

c0

c0 Kurt Vonnegut holding a sign that says 'I oppose the death penalty'
Kurt Vonnegut holding a sign that says
'I oppose the death penalty'. 
Photo credit >
While looking for these images, I stumbled across this picture of Vonnegut on the right:

As do I.

(Though I don't share his opinion of semicolons.)

I can imagine Vonnegut saying that we are all sentenced to death as soon as we enter this world, but he would have put it rather parenthetically, as if over the shoulder.

Note, incidentally, that the sign says "I oppose the death penalty," not "Stop the death penalty"; it takes ownership of the position rather than telling someone else what to do.

Vonnegut saw a lot of death. A lot of it. If we can salvage any hope from death on an industrial scale, it's to be so fully sickened by it we can stomach no more.


c0

“A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved.”
--Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan


[2014-09-08]



c0

No comments:

Post a Comment