Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Things My Dad Used to Say: "Thanks for the Warning."

c0 Teen idol Jimmy McNichol in a Teen Beat T-shirt
Teen idol Jimmy McNichol 
in a Teen Beat T-shirt.
Dad would occasionally say "Thanks for the warning" when the TV promoted an upcoming show or episode he found especially annoying or banal (I don't think Dad ever used "banal," but he knew it when he saw it).

This is one I recall… and it took me a while to find it, believe me; the only thing I was going on was "teen heartthrob," and I don't know if Jimmy McNichol qualifies, but he was the key to finding it:



California Fever 1979 TV Theme



Unrelated (except for the 70's teen idol connection): if they ever give awards for the coolest TV intro themes, this one has to make the list:


Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries Theme



c0 Pamela Sue Martin as Nancy Drew
Pamela Sue Martin as Nancy Drew.
Since it was on Sunday nights, I never saw it (was at church). I'd like to, though, and maybe I can find it online. I do remember Pamela Sue Martin did some naughty pictures, which ended her squeaky clean teen image but didn't hurt her career any. I think we were witnessing a tipping point about that time, where clandestine nude pictures were on the edge of good press. It could go either way, depending on how the unclothed person responded (in horror - too prudish; with pride - too slutty; or with grace and just a little shyness - juuuuuuust right).


Nowadays you'll run into a gynecological selfie just by Googling the wrong starlet at the wrong time, and no one bats an eye.


[2014-09-17]


c0


Happy Birthday, Streckfus >
September 30, 1924


c0 Truman Capote as Lionel Twain in 1976's Murder by Death
Truman Capote as Lionel Twain in 1976's Murder by Death.



c0

No comments:

Post a Comment