Sunday, April 14, 2013

Grandpa Didn't Like Cardboard Cars

c0 Grandpa Cairns's K-Car looked something like this. This is a Dodge Aries.
Click to enlarge: Grandpa Cairns's K-Car looked something like this. This is a Dodge Aries.

My Grandpa Cairns, who retired in the 1970's, drove a company car most of his career. When he retired, he bought his first new car in many years. I was there when he showed his new car to Dad.

Grandpa opened the trunk and tapped the liner and said, "Look, all cardboard. Cheap. They're not making cars like they used to." He was not happy. Actually, he was angry, which was quite unlike him.

I don't recall the model of that car.

I do recall a later car he bought - a Chrysler K-Car, which he liked.

c0

It was said of Grandpa Cairns by those that worked for him that he was very strict, but always fair. He was apparently a hard man to please.

He retired as a district director for the Loblaws's American operations. Loblaws operates exclusively out of Canada now, where it originated.

[2013-03-29]

c0

c0 A line drawing of a finger with a string tied around it.There are some days when I can't immediately remember things that I think I should be able to remember. I can usually remember if I have a moment to think about it, but there are unexpected moments where I can't, for example, remember the name of a person I'm passing in the hallway, or the name of a song I'm hearing It's that split second when you are caught unawares.

Then there are days I can remember everything, even the names of actors from old TV shows that I haven't thought of for years.

This is not new, so it's not related to age far as I can tell. I've been this way my whole life. Events like this are more troubling when you're older, however; you begin to attribute difficulties of any sort to age.

But I have always compartmentalized information differently than others. I purposely discard information others keep if I don't anticipate a need for it, such as names, phone numbers, addresses, birthdays, etc.

[2013-02-20
]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment