Friday, April 19, 2013

It is not a dance. It gathers no food. It does not serve Vaal.

c0 An Oliso iron with Powerlift.
Click to enlarge: This is my iron, an Oliso with Powerlift. It's a good one. When you set it down, it lifts up so you don't damage your delicate unmentionables. I bought it here[1] a few years ago and it works as well today as the day I bought it, notwithstanding end user errors. Hint: don't set it down horizontally for long periods; its shuts down. Needs to be vertical to stay warm.

My wife and my coworkers think I don't iron my shirts.

But I do.

Don't know what the problem is - the iron, the material, my stance?

So what's so important about a pressed shirt, anyway?

It doesn't keep you any warmer.
It doesn't coordinate any better.
It doesn't hold a tie any better.
It doesn't fit any better.
It takes time to iron.
And it's uncomfortable.

 

c0 Makora and Sayana, from the Star Trek episode, The Apple
Click to enlarge: "But what is to be gained? It is not a dance. It gathers no food. It does not serve Vaal. But it did seem as though it was pleasant to them."
--Makora, on Star Trek, "The Apple," to his pretty Gamma Triangulin girlfriend, Sayana

The older I get, the more I've come to realize I was born into the wrong universe. No one I know thinks like I do. They happily go through life ironing their clothes and looking snappy.

But it does seem as though it is pleasant to them.

[2013-03-04]

 

 

 

c0

When others insist you have fun, they usually want you to have fun according to their rules.

[2013-02-28]

c0

[1]
I work for this company and they have rather strict rules around employees referencing
the company online; this is a little inside joke. I love the work I do and the people I work with. I'm one of the lucky writers who gets to write for a living. That's no small feat. Ask any writer.

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment