Thursday, April 18, 2013

Smoking behind the Backstop

c0 A picture of an old baseball in a mitt.I referred to "smoking behind the backstop" with a good friend today [2013-04-10], and he didn't immediately understand the reference, even though he's very involved in sports. About 5 seconds into my explanation, he made the connection.

A backstop is a somewhat V-shaped structure behind home plate on a baseball diamond, and usually in a far corner of a school yard. As the name implies, the backstop stops the ball if it gets past the batter and the catcher.


c0

This is the backstop at Vernondale Elementary School in Millcreek, PA today
Click to enlarge: This is the backstop at Vernondale Elementary School in Millcreek, PA today. When I was a boy attending there in the late 1960's and early 1970's, it was made of wood. It's now a chain-link fence. Google maps link >

In the old days, backstops were made of wood with four high poles, between which was suspended netting.

It was common at Vernondale Elementary School (in Millcreek, PA, where I attended K-6), for some kids (not me) to smoke behind the backstop. And they often got caught.

Nowadays this structure is most often a chain link fence. And there'd be no sense in smoking behind it, because you can see through it.



c0 Cigarette lighter on a smart phone.That would be like flashing a picture of a lighter on your iPhone at a concert. Oh, wait...

 

c0

Speaking of a little flame...

c0 Rolling Stones tongue logo outlined in flames.I had a big mouth as a child[1] and was made by my 7th grade science teacher, Mr Rodney Blystone (at Bethel Christian School), to rewrite the entire biblical book of James in longhand on notebook paper.

The book of James contains this passage:

"Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!" (KJV).

I don't recall what I said to deserve this punishment, but it was one among many incidents that led me to be a reserved adult.

c0

[1]
Some might say I still do have a big mouth, but I've actually overcompensated as an adult by being generally quieter than most. I will definitely share an opinion, but usually wait for it to be solicited.

[2013-04-10
]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment