Friday, April 5, 2013

Klytus, I'm bored

c0 Ming the Merciless
Ming the Merciless looks a little like my good friend Steve Voller, though Steve is the polar opposite of a cosmic villain.

I'm listening to audiobooks on subjects I never would have explored years ago. Is that boredom or maturity?

Opportunity, perhaps.

We consume what we encounter.

There's a lifetime
of reflection (and consumption) in those five words.

c0

I've watched 1980's Flash Gordon more times than I can count. When cable TV was young and HBO was the only way to watch recent theatrical releases on TV (no Internet, no video stores), we sometimes took it as a challenge to see how many times we could watch a single movie.

c0

BTW, I'm not really bored, I just recalled those immortal words of Ming the Merciless at the opening of this movie and thought they'd make an interesting post.

[2013-02-28
]

c0

c0 Bi-polar bear?
Bi-polar bear?.

I go from being enormously optimistic to being equally dispirited.

What do you call that. Bi-polar?

Bi-hopeful, perhaps.

[2013-03-31]

c0

No, I'm not bipolar, if you were wondering.

[2013-03-31]

c0

2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing Flash in a theatre (soooo long ago.) In a scene where conquered peoples bring tributes to Ming - on subjacent says that he loves Ming, but because all they had was plundered, he had nothing to give. Ming (always sympathetic) understands, and says that instead of an offering, he would accept a demonstration of loyalty, and commands the man to fall on his sword. That always stuck with me. The does not fall on his sword, but cries 'Death to Ming!' charges - and is killed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that very well! I put myself in his shoes - what do you do? You're toast no matter what. I liked the lead Hawkman, too; he goes into battle against terrible odds and says something about "today is a good day to die"; I didn't realize at the time I was watching a moving comic book. Such fun it was.

    --c0

    ReplyDelete