Tuesday, May 27, 2014

When modest efforts are rebuffed (and pretty much guarantees no efforts at all).

c0 And Jesus Wept statue near the Alfred P Murrah Federal Building
And Jesus Wept statue near the Alfred P Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, in which 168 people were killed on April 19, 1995, including 19 children. I liked the picture and subtext, so chose it for this post.
When I was much younger and attending church for the first time as a young man with a car and a job and a bible and an interest in contributing, I was making my spiritual home in a Baptist church here in Grand Rapids, MI.

One of the weekly adult Sunday school obligations was bringing in treats. There was a sign-up sheet with suggestions and I kept my promise to bring something once a month or so.

There were other opportunities, too, like Sunday school secretary, prayer chain leader, and teaching the weekly lesson.

One Sunday, on which I was feeling very involved and glad to be there, the Sunday school teacher prayed for the snacks, made a few announcements, then sternly took us to task for not getting involved. He dropped his leather bible on the podium with a heavy slap-thud and walked back to the snack table.

c0


I'm the type that wants to give and does his best to give what and when he can. I also don't respond well to guilt trips when what I can do isn't enough. And so I end up doing less, or nothing, or leaving, which is what I did then.

I wasn't miffed, and that wasn't the only thing that dampened my enthusiasm at that church, but it tipped the scale.

I realize now, however, as an ageing Christian that still has a lot of Baptist in him, that there wasn't anything outside the preaching and fellowship to keep me there.

If baptism is only a symbol, and communion a commemoration appended to the service once a month (rather than a dose of grace at every service), and repentance remains private, then what's left are only the sorts of affinities that create lodges or fraternities or book clubs, in themselves good things to be sure, but easily exchanged.

That's my opinion only, of course, and his nothing to do with how much any of us love Jesus.

[2014-05-08]


c0

Please know that I have a number of friends and family who disagree with me, some probably quite strongly. My comments are not veiled responses, just Clarence sharing his thoughts. Sometimes they coincide with other conversations I'm having, which is not a coincidence, but is entirely benign.

I respect and love those who may disagree with me.

[2014-05-19]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment