Sunday, May 25, 2014

A short follow-up to "some standing here right now will not die " (I've read the entire Satanic Bible)

c0 Anton LaVey, founder of the Satanic Church (Wikimedia  Commons)
Anton LaVey, founder of the Satanic Church (Wikimedia  Commons)
When I was in 7th grade at Bethel Christian School (then at 737 E 26th St in Erie, PA), Mrs Andrus (Pastor Kenneth L Andrus's wife and our bible teacher) was giving a lesson on Jesus' words about the Kingdom, where he says:

"... some standing here right now will not die before they see the Son of Man coming in his Kingdom." (Matthew 16:28, New Living Translation)

Mrs Andrus explained this quite clearly, but my 12-year-old mind simply didn't understand it at all. I recall it made perfect sense, had all the right pieces and accounted for the text and other related passages. Yet I felt like I was missing something I should be able understand but for some reason could not quite grasp.

Perhaps there is a GARB-er out there who knows the company line on this matter.

(My earlier comments are here, "A simple mind’s approach to a hard issue">)

[2014-05-15]

c0

I've read the entire Satanic Bible (by Anton LaVey >).

I was disappointed. It was all about hedonistic abandon and feel-good indulgence.

I already knew how to do that. I was a teenager.

I guess I was expecting some sort of "St Joseph Manual for Satanists," with naked virgins and sacrificial rites and such.

Oh well.

[2014-05-16]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment