Monday, May 5, 2014

You know you’re old(er) when…

c0 Walter Mondale and Geraldine Ferraro ran for the White House in 1984. They were defeated by incumbent Ronald ReaganYou know you're old(er) when someone tells you he knows who Walter Mondale and Geraldine Ferraro are because he was a history major in college. Thanks, Stephen :-)


c0



I’m glad I came of age in the 70’s when Nazi hunting and outrage at the Holocaust was an inescapable theme in movies, books, and TVs.

For two days in September, 1941, 33,771 Jews were killed in Babi Yar. Read and see more >


c0 An execution at Babi Yar
An execution at Babi Yar.
I continue to be baffled at our capacity for cruelty. I look at those images, and then I look at my little girls, and I tell myself, “Once upon a time not long ago, those folks in the pictures were plump and cheery children laughing and running, crying over scraped knees, stealing apples, struggling to learn the alphabet and times tables and how to whistle with a blade of summer grass. Who could have known their paths would all intersect in a ravine in Ukraine."

It’s no wonder the recent anti-Semitic literature in Ukraine was so alarming. There are still people around who remember Babi Yar.

[2014-04-25]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment