Sunday, October 26, 2014

To sleep, perchance to dream.

c0 Top: 2004 Banksy with Mickey Mouse, Ronald McDonald, and Phan Thi Kim Phuc. Bottom: Phan Thi Kim Phuc in the 1972 Pulitzer winning photo by Nick Ut
Top: 2004 Banksy with Mickey Mouse, Ronald McDonald, and Phan Thi Kim Phuc. Bottom: Phan Thi Kim Phuc in the 1972 Pulitzer winning photo by Nick Ut that became a catalyst for outrage at the Vietnam War. Phuc survived, later sought asylum in Canada, and launched a foundation to care for child victims of war. Phan Thi Kim Phuc on Wikipedia >. KIM Phuc Foundation >.
I had a dream in which I was visiting a new wine café run by the company I work for; the café was timbered and rustic, located in a windowless cellar with lots of faux Graeco-Roman pillars and greenery. It was a marketing test of some sort. Some kids had found a way to turn the speed up on the escalator that led down to the café. Elderly patrons were tumbling down the escalator, and some with canes and walkers were trying to navigate the stairs, but falling upon each other. Security was watching but not responding. I begged for more team members to help me hold back the throng of elderly people that were getting hurt, but they wouldn't help. I finally went into the security booth. It was staffed by three young men in sunglasses who also refused to help. I went over to the control panel and looked for an emergency shutoff for the escalator, but there wasn't one. Just as I thought I was out of luck, someone else in the café found a switch and slowed the escalators so customers could stand up and keep moving.


Later I talked with one of the security guards. He was wearing a crucifix that featured Mickey Mouse where you'd expect to see Jesus. I told him it was an interesting necklace. He said it was meant to be an insult to people who write dumb blogs like me. I tried to get him to talk more about this remark, but he wouldn't, just remained silent behind his sunglasses.

And there the dream ended.

c0

Yes, there are Mickey Mouse crucifixes, but no need to illustrate this story with one. The Banksy graffiti is more powerful. Mickey on the cross? Oh look, someone trivialized Jesus again. Ho hum.

[2014-10-18]
c0

No comments:

Post a Comment