Tuesday, October 14, 2014

What does that have to do with anything?

c0 Neuron in tissue culture (Wikimedia Commons)
Neuron in tissue culture (Wikimedia Commons)

I often make connections that others don't see.

In all fairness to myself and others, sometimes those connections are so tenuous they may be more befuddling than helpful.

But more often than not (of course, they're my insights, so I'm biased), the connections add a layer others are missing.

Because these tenuous connections sound entirely unrelated, some folks consider me a bit daft. This started in college, I think. Maybe I was then. Maybe I still am.

[2014-10-05]

c0



c0 A hot rod car with painted flames
A hot rod car with painted flames. Image credit Dictionary of Automotive Terms >
I think this way when I see a street light:

When did humans first associate red with "stop" and green with "go"? Maybe red:stop = blood:death, and green:go = vegetation:life[1]

I think this way when I see flames painted on the front of a car:

When did humans first associate trailing fire with a fast moving object? Meteorites, perhaps, or catapulted incendiaries.

There may be no better answer to these than the same sort of speculation over how we turned grunts into sentences.

And so we heave-ho.



[2014-10-08]
c0


[1]
This is read: "a is to b as x is to y"


c0

No comments:

Post a Comment