Thursday, October 23, 2014

Two Vernondale memories.

c0 Vernondale Elementary  School, Millcreek, Erie, PA
Vernondale Elementary School, Millcreek, Erie, PA
I attended Vernondale Elementary School in Millcreek, PA from kindergarten through 6th grade. In those days, most elementary schools were K-6.

The first memory I want to share is of a boy named Greg. I don't remember his last name. He was a big, meaty fellow, strong and tall. One cold fall day, standing in line at the 6th grade entrance at the end of recess, Greg began to cry. A kind teacher, Mr Veith as I recall (5th grade math), put his arm around him and took him inside so he didn't have to cry in line while the rest of us watched. I asked a boy next to me what was wrong, and he told me Greg had lost his mom a while back and he'd been thinking about her lately.

The next memory is of me in 2nd grade, splashing around in puddles on the blacktop during recess. A 6th grade teacher/coach approached me with a bunch of athletic kids preparing for track practice and incredulously asked me what I was doing. I said, "It's okay, these are my play shoes." He shook his head and walked away, trying to embarrass me into stopping, I suppose. As they all turned away, one 6th grader said, "Have fun playing." It was the sort of thing you'd expect from a 6th grader, but not a teacher.

This is Vernondale Elementary a few years ago. I stopped by one summer during a trip home and took a few pictures.





Did you go to Vernondale? If you want to contact me, I'm here >


[2014-10-18]


c0

No comments:

Post a Comment