Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Are 20% of Americans paying almost all the taxes? (Rationalizing inequity)

c0 A few praying mantis cartoons based in the insect's carnivorous mating habitsI heard a guest host on Fox News' Brian Kilmeade & Friends say that 20% of American taxpayers are paying almost all the taxes.

The guest host said "the bottom 60% are net takers." Since I'm in the bottom 60%, and I pay a heckuva lot of taxes, I can't imagine me and the 59.999% rest of you are expected to believe that.

Let's assume it's true. Here's an essay question for accounting students:

Assume that 20% of Americans pay nearly all the taxes. Is this a problem? Why or why not? If yes, how do you solve it?

I think I already know the solution the top 20% will offer: Take more from the bottom 80%, some of which must decide between eating and heating, or new shoes and new tires, or Macy's and the dollar store.

And this is all beside the point, anyway. All communities, of any size, are faced with decisions on how they will help those who are unable to help themselves. Insects eat each other. Some animals do, too. Humans just rationalize inequity so the unwanted burden returns to the soil as quickly as possible.

It's at times like this that Richard Dawkins makes a lot of sense.


c0

Why was I listening to Fox? CNN wouldn't stream.


[2014-11-24]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment