Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Does it make a difference? (and Noble Savagery)

c0 Penguin Classics cover of Rousseau's Reveries of the Solitary Walker
Penguin Classics cover of Rousseau's Reveries of the Solitary Walker. This is the edition I read.
If you respond emotionally in the moment, are the emotions any different than if you later discover you were wrong?

If we someday can no longer tell the difference between a computer and a person, is there a difference between that computer and a person?

If you fall in love and your feelings aren't reciprocated, are your feelings any different than if they were?

Does validation or contradiction make anything more or less real? Are our emotions or convictions just as poisonous, or just as fulfilling, regardless of the reality outside them?

Perhaps. 

Hence placebos, exorcisms, Santa Claus, and promises and elections and governments.


c0

In college (Calvin College, 1981-85), when I was discovering and adopting bits and pieces of philosophy, I used to believe man could be island, and bridled at suggestions I needed anyone. I devoured Rousseau (still have a soft spot for him), and fancied myself a pre-Social Contract noble savage who interacted with others only long enough to transmit my DNA to the next generation of savages. As incorrect as that image is, I still find it appealing.


c0

I've become very busy lately, at home and everywhere else, and am writing more in less time. If it shows here, please forgive the rough edges.

c0


[2014-12-07]

No comments:

Post a Comment