Thursday, December 4, 2014

ITA: Initial Teaching Alphabet

c0 A few covers from M.E. Gagg children's readers 'translated' into I.T.A.
Covers from ME Gagg children's readers 'translated' into I.T.A. More about ITA on Wikipedia >
Back in the 60's, many American and British children were introduced to reading and writing with ITA, or the Initial Teaching Alphabet. It wasn't strictly phonetic, but similar in many ways.

Most adults (moms and dads and not a few teachers) didn't like it, so it quickly fell into disuse, but I think it actually worked for me.

The first book I ever reread many times was a first grade ITA reader. It featured a stegosaurus with purple polka dots. Another retold the classic story of a Chinese boy who swallows the ocean and saves his brothers' lives.

However, although I'm a prolific writer and voracious reader, I'm a terrible speller, and ITA may have had something do with that.

But I don't need to know how to spell to write, just as I don't need to know how to read music to play it. Human expression always has mechanical aspects that are easier to interpret (the order of letters on a page, notes of a register, liturgy), and that's where most of us stop.

[2014-11-30]


c0

No comments:

Post a Comment