Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Grit, X-ray glasses, and ghosts that obey your every command.

c0 Top: X-ray glasses. Middle: A ghost that obeys your every command. Bottom: Pepper gum
Some ads from the back of comic books I read as a kid. Top: X-ray glasses. Middle: A ghost that obeys your every command. Bottom: Pepper gum. Brother Tom ordered the ghost and to this day I think we are still haunted by it.
Ever heard of Grit? Not long ago it was a newspaper primarily sold by young boys responding to ads in the backs of comic books and dreaming of being their own bosses. Although Grit started as a regular newspaper (devoted to optimistic and gemütlich stories), by the time I was a boy, it was on the same level as X-ray glasses, ghosts that obey your every command, and pepper gum.

I did read a copy once. Dad felt sorry for a boy selling it outside Loblaws, and the bought a copy as he left work. As I recall, the feeling Grit gave me was similar to a kinder, gentler National Enquirer (which my Grandma Cairns read weekly).


[2014-11-24]

c0

I learned today [2014-11-24] that while playing at one of the mall playgrounds, a boy spat on Mimi. Her sister Dee Dee cleaned the spittle off her with her dress. I think Dee Dee is growing into a caring little girl, though she does have some trouble being a "first time listener," as kindergarten teachers like to say.

[2014-11-24]
c0

No comments:

Post a Comment