Saturday, May 25, 2013

Iggy disses the 60's

c0 Punk icon Iggy Pop today.
Click to enlarge: Punk icon Iggy Pop today. I remember him from a caption in a People Magazine from when I was a boy that showed him holding his (blurred) penis in his hand while singing; the caption read, "When in doubt, whip it out."

Iggy Pop disses the 60's:

Renee Montagne:
We are talking the summer of love and music like Jefferson Airplane, something like that.

Iggy Pop:
"I never liked them. They had one good song: 'White Rabbit.' But it was better than [sings], 'Are you going to San Francisco?' That blows."

[snip]

Renee Montagne:
At this point, is it a point of pride that The Stooges won't make money from the record?

Iggy Pop:
"In the mid-'90s, The Stooges and Fun House turned over into the black, and all the band members who survived started getting checks. And then a little later, the same happened to Raw Power. Little by little, that old band has defeated a lot of our shag-haired, frilly-vest-wearing crapola, corporate rock gods and goddesses of the '60s and '70s.

Source >

 

c0

I had a neighbor on first floor Bolt Hall at Calvin College that was really into punk, including Iggy Pop. I think he deejayed, which was a new occupation to me. He had thousands of vinyl records on a shelf under his loft, and some of the best stereo equipment on the floor. He wore lot of military camouflage.

He was very kind and friendly, especially to freshman like me. He liked everybody.

I don't think he stuck around after my first year. He said of his departing pre-sem roommate going to Notre Dame, "I feel the pain of the Reformation," and he sincerely put his hand over his heart. He wasn't kidding.

I wish I could remember his name. I'd look him up.

c0

So why is Iggy Pop still so annoyed after 40 years? He seems to have held on to the punk angst that motivated his music in the 70's.

Ad for Chrysler 300C John Varvatos Limited Edition

(Iggy shows up at the end)
 

Selling out? I don't know. Punk is dissonant and unpredictable, so perhaps a corporate Iggy Pop is the perfect fit. Somehow disappointing, though.


[2013-05-02]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment