Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Mistrust is often not due to a single person, but the people around him or her.

c0 President Obama
Click to enlarge: President Obama.

"To say a military tactic is legal, or even effective, is not to say it is wise or moral in every instance. For the same human progress that gives us the technology to strike half a world away also demands the discipline to constrain that power - or risk abusing it."
--President Obama, speaking on drone policy on May 23, 2013

Comment: As much as I disagree with him on some issues, I like Obama and think he will be remembered as one of our greatest presidents and an example of when democracy worked. Neither you nor I will be around to know if I was right, so I will enjoy thinking I'm right.

And these are fine words. I think Obama is sincere. But it's not Obama I'm worried about, it's the 2nd bananas that pull levers and push buttons, the Cheneys and Rumsfelds, those are the guys that worry me.

[2013-05-24]


c0



c0 Chelsea Clinton (L) and Jeb Bush (R)
Click to enlarge: Chelsea Clinton (L) and Jeb Bush (R)
I hope there will never be another Bush or Clinton in the White House in my lifetime.

I know that's another 30-40 years (Lord wilin' and the creek don't rise), but I'd appreciate it if US voters would cooperate.

Just because you got a famous last name through the Lucky Sperm Club doesn't entitle you to run the country.

[2013-04-11]


c0

2 comments:

  1. Drones: Patton had an opinion on the topic...visionary that he was:

    From the movie -

    "Voice: We've been told about these wonder weapons the Germans were working on - long range rockets, push button bombing, weapons that don't need soldiers...
    Patton: "Wonder weapons"? By God, I don't see the wonder in them. Killing without heroics? Nothing is glorified? Nothing is reaffirmed? No heroes, no cowards, no troops, no generals. Only those who are left alive, and those who are left... dead. I'm glad I won't live to see it."

    I don't hear that quoted much these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long distance killing became routine during WWII, and with drones it feels more like a video game. We're so desensitized to it, we'll one day kill scores without even batting an eye.

    --c0

    ReplyDelete