Wednesday, February 5, 2014

More fun than Windows or iOS (and just who the blazes is Daft Punk?)



c0 Gimp 2.8 logo
A colleague (whom I respect but no longer works at the company I do) was once talking about imaging software and derisively said “I suppose they use Gimp,” after the manner of “I suppose they put ketchup on filet mignon.” I didn't say anything; she was being pretty snarky and it would have become a debate.

Folks with sufficient funds for fancy computers and software often become a bit snooty about it, just as they do with cars or clothes or houses or anything else.

FWIW, I do use Gimp (a free Photoshop alternative). Gimp works a heckuva lot faster on a Linux box with 1.5Gb RAM than it does on Windows with 3Gb.

This is my fast, free and productive setup so far...

Lubuntu 13 on a 1GHz AMD Sempron Processor 3200+ with 1.5Gb RAM
Chromium (Linux version of Chrome)
InoReader RSS reader (Chrome plugin) and Liferea (client); experimenting with both.

It’s more fun than Windows or iOS.

90% of this blog is now created and maintained with some flavor of Linux, currently Lubuntu 13; trying antiX and Lucid Puppy.

c0

And there is also an inverse snootiness, isn't there? “I don’t need no stinkin’ Widows,” or something like that, which is the spirit in which his post was written.

I actually like Windows. I don’t like iOS.

[2014-01-25]

c0

c0 Karlie Kloss & Daft Punk
Karlie Kloss & Daft Punk
And just who the blazes is Daft Punk?

I watched about half the Grammys, knew less than half the acts. Was worth the wait to watch John and Ringo play together.

A friend and former colleague of mine had a large picture of the Abbey Road album cover in his cube. He pasted a cutout of my head over George Harrison’s. That was in the day when I wore a very long ponytail and pulled back ⅓ like Harrison used to wear it. That’s how I’m wearing it in the picture at the top of this blog.

Oh, FWIW, we are going to half-height cubicle walls at the office soon. Will be rather difficult to decorate, or hang a coat, or discretely review my direct reports’ performance and pay, for that matter.

I really don’t understand what sort of increased productivity comes from decreased privacy.

[2014-01-27]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment