Friday, February 7, 2014

The most famous writer I ever met (a spatial oddity).



c0 My copy of An Asian Gambit, by James Goonewardena
My copy of An Asian Gambit
by James Goonewardena
The most famous writer I ever met was James Goonewardena. You probably never heard of him. Though gone now, he was a highly regarded Asian writer and picked up by Penguin.

I've read a number of his books. The first was in preparation of meeting him, An Asian Gambit.

I had tea in his home. His wife was abroad and he was living alone in a breezy home full of open spaces and handsome furniture. He had the appearance of Omar Sharif and articulation of an English lord (picture Shelby Foote in the House of Lords).

I had balls in those days. He asked me what I thought of An Asian Gambit. I explained how much I liked it, but thought a certain section was gratuitous and seemed forced (I didn't use those words, but same idea).

He said it was interesting I should mention that; he didn't like it either, his editor asked him to add it to increase sales, and he obliged.

True story.

[2014-01-13]

c0



c0 Arthur C Clarke
Arthur C Clarke
On the plane trip over to Sri Lanka where I met Mr Goonewardena, I met an elderly woman who knew Arthur C Clarke; at that time Clarke was still alive and living on the island (and is still a celebrated figure there). I was a keen Clarke fan and actually was reading Rendezvous with Rama on the flight.

Once this fellow passenger discovered I liked Clarke, she became very distant; I guess she thought I’d ask her to introduce me to him. I had no intention of doing that, but you can’t anticipate someone’s withdrawal and then protest “No, wait, I wasn't going to impose on you, honest!”

What’s that they say about degrees of separation? I guess I was two away from Mr Clarke.

I think that could be called a spatial oddity.

[2014-01-27]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment