Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Pyramids are best left in Egypt (a childhood memory of MLM).


c0 Entryway to the Amway Grand Plaza on Pearl St in Grand Rapids
Entryway to the Amway Grand Plaza on Pearl St in Grand Rapids
MLM is “multilevel marketing.”

Many years ago, when I was too small to remember many names, Mom and Dad were invited to a church family’s home. I don’t know who this family was, and I don't think they remained at Bethel Baptist Church very long.

I remember Mom and Dad talking about this. “Why would so-and-so invite us to their home? We hardly know them.”

I think it was Mom who called and actually asked, and I may have even heard that phone call, though I could be inventing the memory.

c0 Founders of Amway, Jay Van Andel & Rich DeVos
Founders of Amway, Jay Van Andel & Rich DeVos
Turns out the couple was with Amway. If you don’t know who that is, it’s a successful multilevel marketing company based in Grand Rapids (where I live) and started by Rich DeVos and Jay Van Andel. You can see their names all over town. One of the DeVos helicopters flies over my house a few times a day from their private compound to the helipad atop the Amway Grand Plaza (at least, that’s what I’m told).

Yes, there is a lot of money in multilevel marketing, for the top .01%, give or take.

No matter how you slice it or how many unbiased analyses you find online, it not only doesn't work, it can’t  work.

The quality of the product and integrity of the company are irrelevant.

It’s just numbers.

Most likely you already know this.

This Wikipedia chart shows that pyramid schemes are not sustainable
If you don’t, spend a little time  here:



and


and


[2014-01-13]



c0

No comments:

Post a Comment