Saturday, February 9, 2013

Descent into Brown Study

c0 a screen capture from the opening sequence to the TV show "Cheers"It may not seem like it, but many of my posts begin a little morose. I try to rework these so they leave a more pleasant aftertaste, and I'm usually successful, but I think they often retain (and rightly so) a hint of melancholy.

For example, "I Handled Stock for a Large Corporation" was originally called "Where no one knows your name" and was illustrated with the Cheers TV show logo. The original focus of the piece was that most of my friends from the store and early ecommerce days have moved on and there is no one to talk to anymore about those days. Instead, I turned it into a fun reflection on Lowel Liefers, a friend from that time.

[2013-02-01]

c0


c0 man writing by candlelightCondo rules are unfortunately forcing me to move (no more than three permanent residents allowed in each home, and Mimi is number 4.). That's good and bad. Good because we are tight on space, but bad because I like my home. As I write this, it's a sunny morning, but I'm secluded in my windowless office, typing by candlelight. I hope my next house gives me someplace dark and quiet to retreat to like this.

To this day I write poetry by candlelight, by hand, at midnight each Halloween. It's the same poem that's gone from prose to heroic couplets to blank verse. It takes place in a graveyard. Perhaps I have enough Halloweens left to finish it before I wind up there myself.

[2013-02-02]

c0

No comments:

Post a Comment