Sunday, February 3, 2013

The loudest sound in the world is a VP twiddling his thumbs.

c0 fail whaleOnce upon a time I coordinated a vendor presentation with a VP and director I reported to.

The vendor said he'd bring his presentation, a laptop, and a projector, so all I needed was a room and a screen.

So far so good.

But I used to be a 9th grade teacher and I know if something can go wrong, it will. So I had not only a Plan B, but also a Plan C: In addition to the screen, I ordered a backup projector and a backup laptop.

The day arrives.

The vendor brought only a laptop. No projector. No handouts. His presentation was on the Internet. Can he connect to it from this room?

No.

The backup projector I ordered didn't arrive.

The backup laptop I ordered wouldn't connect to the Internet, either.

I'm dead in the in the water.

I ran to my desk and printed copies of the presentation the vendor had emailed me earlier. After 10 minutes of VP and director thumb twiddling, we resumed.

Afterward, my director said "You really have to plan better."

The vendor didn't get the contract.

c0

The loudest sound in the world is a VP twiddling his thumbs.


c0

Started: 2013-01-15





1 comment:

  1. That's what you get for giving the vendor just a teeny-tiny little bit of credit, and supposing that you didn't need to to his ENTIRE job for him!

    ReplyDelete