Thursday, February 28, 2013

We're all ascetics.

c0 a picture of an Eastern ascetic; I don't know the origin but it was a fitting picture to illustrate this post.If you're married, you may be one of the vanishing breed (like me) that doesn't cheat on your spouse. If you're health conscience, you give up sweets or carbohydrates or sodium, etc. If you're creative or athletic or driven in some way, you deprive yourself of indulgences while you're in the zone. If you're a recovering alcoholic, you don't drink.

Etc.

Self-denial is inherent in human activity.

I've been hearing more criticism of religious celibacy (mostly directed at priests, nuns, and other holy orders), and chastity inside marriage (mostly from evangelicals who think such a thing is "sick").

Regardless of our personal opinions, there's no reason that sexual asceticism should be different than any other; except, of course, when we wish to excuse our own excess and so criticize those who make a different choice.

Psychologists have shown that those who are violently anti-homosexual actually harbor homosexual tendencies. True. We sometimes criticize those who draw attention to what we hate in ourselves.

Introspective minds rarely behave this way. They know themselves too well, and for flaws they recognize, they usually shrug and say, "I'm working on it," even very serious flaws.

Dad used to call me a "work in progress." He was being very kind and supportive. He wasn't excusing me, he was telling me how much he believed
in me.

c0

c0 In It's a Wonderful Life, Clarence is helping George discover why he matters. He asks the St Joseph how he's doing. We don't hear Joseph respond, but he presumably compliments Clarence and then asks if Clarence has had a drink; Clarence is a bit annoyed and says he didn't. He actually ordered some mulled wine, which got both him and George tossed out on their ears.How am I doing, Dad?

Thanks.

No, I didn't have a drink!

 

c0

Started: 2013-02-24

3 comments:

  1. Chuck - Excellent thoughts - Thanks for those. Dad was wise to recognize that a work in progress is a valuable thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad would say he is proud of you and you are doing great. Me too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both, I know he's reading my posts.

    --c0

    ReplyDelete