Monday, February 11, 2013

Say hello to my little friend.

c0 a bottle of Corn Husker's Lotion, heavy duty hand treatmentI suffer from painfully dry hands in winter, so dry they crack and bleed. It's not only painful, but in this day of blood-transmitted diseases, I hate to be reaching for a Styrofoam cup or pulling down on a coffee urn lever with my hands bleeding.

I went to a local big box store looking for "cow udder balm," which a colleague of mine said was a very effective (thank you, Brian M), but the one I visited didn't have anything close. Instead, I picked something that looked simple and sounded effective: "Corn Husker's Lotion."


c0 1/2 pint bottle of Popov's vodkaI'm sold. It's simple, all right - plastic bottle with a screw top, like a half pint of Popov's vodka (an analogy from my drinking days). Cheap, too, $3-$4.

It's about the consistency of real maple syrup, but dries fast and leaves a pleasant, light herbal smell. It doesn't sting on open skin and soothes immediately.

We'll see how it goes. This is Day 2, but so far I like it.

c0

Update: It's been about a week, house is still extremely dry (room-size humidifier needs refilling daily), and hands are better; it's not a miracle salve, but it seems to be working better than anything else I've tried. I still use a traditional bargain brand lotion at the office, so might even be a combination of the two.


c0
Started: 2013-02-03



3 comments:

  1. I believe you are looking for 'Udderly Smooth'. It is sold at Walmart. Putting it on at night then wearing gloves is helpful too. If the condition worsens or 'Corn Huskers' stops working you might give this a try. I'll send you my bill in the morning. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mom, I will look for that. I heard form someone that it's kind of greasy; the corn husker's lotion dries very fast and that's a plus.

    --c0

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to post a photo here (is that possible) but O'Keeffe's Working Hands works great too. I get it at Northern Tool & Equipment -




    ReplyDelete